Saturday, September 10, 2011

First day of K-3 (tear...tear)

This past week the girls started K-3. We made the decision to separate them this year. We had talked to several teachers, former teachers, friends, and other twin parents and they all recommended splitting them up. We really felt like it would be good for them to have some time AWAY from each. They tend to mainly fight and "attack" each other so we are hoping some time away from each other with help with that :) We had been "prepping" them for a couple of weeks before school started about their two DIFFERENT teachers and classrooms. At first they weren't too fond of the idea, but the more we pumped them up about it, the more excited they seemed to become. Here they are on their first day last week....

The daddy rearranged his morning schedule so that he could go with me and take one into their classroom while I took the other. I was prepared for them to possibly throw a fit and beg to be in the same classroom, so I was glad the daddy was there in case I needed reinforcements :)

Such big girls!

To our surprise, both the girls walked into their separate classrooms and said, "Bye Mom. Bye Dad. See you later." What?? Gabbie started playing with the baby dolls...




and Jocie started putting Mr. Potato Head together....


And then the daddy and the momma walk outside to go to their cars and the momma starts weeping......no, I didn't expect that response from myself...it hit me out of nowhere..."my babies are growing up!!" After I recovered I did enjoy a few hours of quiet time before I went and picked them back up. Their teachers said they did great! They do have recess and bible story time together and they said that when they saw each other they ran up to each other, game each other a big hug, and then ran back to their groups. Awwww....how sweet :) Their teachers also said they were "really quiet". WHAT?! Ok, that's one I've never heard before. They did really well the rest of the week, too. I do think that giving them some time apart is going to be a great thing. I'm glad we decided to go ahead and separate them.
I knew this was probably going to happen but I didn't expect it to happen so quickly...on the way to school on Thursday Jocie says to me, "mommy, I going to share with Gabbie today." And Gabbie says, "and I going to share with Jocie today, mommy." I said, "Great! That is so kind of both of you. God wants us to be kind to each other and share. What are you going to share today?" Jocie says, "We going to share our teachers, mommy. I going to share Mrs. Hope with Gabbie and Gabbie going to share Mrs. Diane with me! We going to go to each other's classes today, mommy!" Yikes! "Oh no, baby. You can't change teachers and classes. You have to stay in the same one for the whole year. I'm sorry." They were pretty upset about it, but by the time we made it to school, they had decided that they would go ahead and go to their normal classes :) I'm sure that won't be the last conversation about "sharing their teachers". Well, one day at a time, I guess :)


No comments: