Friday, March 16, 2012

Gigantor Answered Prayer

Yea, I know....it's been a while again. It's like I blink and weeks have went by....geeeeez. Not to mention that life has continued to just be nuts with all kinds of unexpected circumstances coming into play....like the fact that during the first week of February I booked Shane an appointment for a massage. I had purchased him one off of Living Social back in October for his birthday but, of course, he didn't find time to redeem it until a few days before it expired. Well, when he got back from his massage, he walked into the house and had this really weird look on his face. I asked him how the massage was and he said that it was ok. Just ok??? I mean, it's not every day that he gets an hour long massage! He then proceeds to tell me that about minutes into the massage, the lady said that she felt a "mass of some sort" on his back in between his shoulder blade and his spine. She said that it definitely wasn't muscle and she recommended him going to the doctor asap to get it checked. WHAT???? Of course, he was completely freaked out (as was I...I just don't show it as much outwardly as he does). He went to a general practitioner the next day and he referred him to a general surgeon because he said it definitely needed to be removed and biopsied. The first appointment the general surgeon had open wasn't for another 2 weeks! Yea, we couldn't wait that long. Shane would go NUTS. I mean, dying of cancer is one of his greatest fears. We prayed that he would be able to get in sooner than two weeks. He called back a couple of days later and there had been a cancelation and he was able to get in the next day (PRAISE the LORD). The doctor examined the mass and concluded that Shane would need surgery to remove it because of the size and not knowing how deep it went. Surgery was scheduled for two days later. The surgeon came and spoke with me after the surgery and said, "Man! That was a tough one!! It was a whole lot deeper than I thought so I had to dig pretty deep under his scapula bone and the"n I hit two bleeders and blood started shooting all over the place! It was crazy".... "Ummmm, well, is he ok??"..."Oh, yea, he was out the whole time"....."ummm. ok. Yea, well I would hope so."....."Well, I'm almost positive that it is a benign tumor, but we will know for sure in a WEEK." Dang. A whole week?? That would feel like eternity. We were very thankful that he was able to get it all and that by the looks of it, he felt like it would be benign. We prayed, along with many others, that it would be. To our GREAT relief, a week later the doctor confirmed that it was in fact a benign tumor. THANK YOU LORD! I didn't realize how nervous I was about it until Shane called to tell me it was benign and I felt myself really breathe again for the first time in two weeks. It was definitely a gigantor answered prayer.

I know this is kind of a gross pic, but oh well :)

It took a couple of weeks for him to really feel like he could start doing some active things again. He is back in full swing now. Whew! What an unexpected couple of weeks. SO thankful that the Lord allowed the massage therapist to find it when she did and that it was benign.

No comments: