Monday, September 15, 2008

My Treasure Box


Yes, this a freezer. Yes, it is completely full of frozen breastmilk. I finally took a picture of it and had to post it because I am realizing more and more how infinitely valuable this milk is (ok....that was a little bit of an exaggeration...but you get the point :) How did I get all this milk?? Well, the girls were born premature and were not able to breastfeed in the beginning so I had to pump to establish my milk supply....AND oh did I pump!! My lactation nurse (hey Marcia! Miss you!) was overhwhelmed with how much milk I was producing (by like the 2nd or 3rd week I was making enough milk for quads). I thought this was normal for everyone, but I realized that it was not :) Anyways....long story short, I had to continue pumping for the first 2 1/2 months while I was slowly teaching the girls to breastfeed. Then I had to "ween" myself off the pump (For those who understand what I mean, this was an extremely hard process...for those of you who don't know what I mean, I'll spare you the details :) ANYWAYS, I ended up with an ENTIRE deep freezer full of milk. This has come in quite handy when I have needed to give them a bottle b/c I have PLENTLY of milk (that is an understatement). SO, I have named it my Treasure Box b/c I realize how valuable this "liquid gold" really is. AND if anyone needs some, feel free to give me a call. I don't mind sharing the treasure! (most of you will probably think that is way weird! :)

5 comments:

Bragans said...

That is amazing. I struggled to just be able to pump a bottle in 2 days. Looks like you had no problem pumping a couple. It is a Treasure Chest!

Ariel said...

I'm so jealous...We bought a deep freezer before Jake was born in hopes of me being able to save up lots of milk. HA! If you could only see the milk in our freezer...you would laugh. Pumping has gotten so much better though, so I'm thankful for that. This truly is a treasure chest!!

Love and Miss!!

--Shelley said...

amazing. a blessing. a result of drinking gallons of water for years!

JD and Danielle said...

I understand the feeling. When I left Mobile, a hurricane was coming. So in fear the power would go off and all my milk would be ruined, I brought it to Dothan. Wherever I go, the milk goes!!! Ha-Ha.

Katie said...

oh my goodness!!! i struggled to pump 2 TEASPOONS (not exaggerating at all) for noah and finally gave up all hope of breastfeeding when he was a month old. that is QUITE a treasure chest! consider yourself blessed - i wanted so badly to breastfeed. ah well, maybe next time around!!

katie (hawkins) beall
www.babybeall.com