Friday, November 12, 2010

Jazz Half-Marathon!!

The last weekend in October,Colleen and I headed over to New Orleans to run the Jazz Half Marathon......

Leaving Mobile....
I realized on our way to New Orleans that the last time I had been to there was the first night Shane and I were married! We drove there from Troy, AL right after our wedding reception to spend the night before we flew out to Cancun for our honeymoon the next day. I can't believe it's been that long since I've been to New Orleans....crazy!

After we arrived and checked into our hotel, we went and ate our pre-race meal at Grand Isle. It was FABULOUS!

We split this seafood dish....yeah, it was enormous!

After we finished eating, we browsed around downtown for a bit....



We strolled down Bourbon Street for a bit......Very entertaining and definitely QUITE disturbing....


Right before the race....
It was such an awesome race....perfect weather, beautiful scenery, and so many people were dressed in crazy Halloween outfits that they actually ran the race in....very entertaining!

We finished in 2 hours. We were super excited.....we did better than we had expected!

Yay!!! we did it!!



This guy was titled "the minister of fun".....classic :)

Post-Race concert...


We actually both felt great after the race...surprisingly....
They had all sorts of food at the post-race party....Colleen downing some Thai chicken something-or-other at 9am! yummy.

Replacing our lost electrolytes :)


This tree sculpture was made out of materials/debris found after hurricane Katrina.....


After the race we spent the rest of the day walking around the French Quarter

Street performers were EVERYWHERE....
Crazy....it just so happened that the one weekend I was in New Orleans, my fabulous friend, Summar, was also spending the weekend there with some of her friends. It was SO fabulous to see you, Summar!

Celebrating our accomplishment at Pat O'Brien's....fun times!
So this guy sitting behind me had this crazy wig on and Colleen timed a pic just right to make me look like I either have a chicken head OR I'm wearing a yellow, fuzzy crown :)

Interesting act....

Nice hair-do...

Summar and her friends...

We finished our day off at Cafe du Monde, of course! Got to love deep fried, greasy dough smothered in powdered sugar...definitely ranks up there with one of the best things I've ever eaten!
A HUGE thank you to PawPaw and MawMaw for coming over on Saturday to watch the girls so I could run in the race (Shane was coaching at the South Alabama game all day). The girls had such a fun time with ya'll!!


So, now that we have accomplished a half....we are super optimistic right now and are starting to train for the Rock-n-Roll marathon in New Orleans in February......like I said....we are super optimistic right now...we will see what reality holds :)


No comments: