Saturday, August 20, 2011

Kevin's throw-back surprise party!

Kevin turned 40 back in July, but Shay decided to throw him a surprise party last weekend since our great friend, JK, was in town and he was the key piece for the success of the kind of party Shay wanted to have for Kevin....drum-roll please.....a throw-back old school prayer and praise time led by none other than THE Jonathan King...known to most as JK. All of us "old-timers" were super pumped about the big event :)


We couldn't find a sitter for the girls so we just decided to put them in their PJ's and bring them with us. I mean, we just couldn't miss out on this opportunity. We knew the girls would like the music and singing anyways. Here they are finishing their dinner (I know...chick-fil-A...shocking) and waiting for Mr. Kevin to arrive...

Still waiting....
Shay and the girls blind-folded Kevin and told him they had a late birthday surprise for him. They also told him he had to wear tennis shoes (to try to throw him off :)

The blind-folded Kevin walks in to the silent room. After a few seconds JK yells out (in my own spelling :)..."Bueno asa fweeway" to which the rest of us yell out "AMEN"!!! To all of you old-schoolers you know what that means....Higha, Higha!! Kevin takes off his blind fold and gives a big smile...then we all start breaking it down (and up) to Higha, Higha. It was WAY FUN TIMES. I apologize to the ones reading this that have no clue what I am talking about....but for those who do....there needs to be no further explanation :)

I know this pic is blurry probably b/c I was trying to take a pic while I was doing Higha Higha :)
There were several old-schoolers in attendance....
and those that didn't have a clue what the songs were we were singing...they just joined in as if they did :)



The slide show of the words even made it look like we were using an old-school projector and transparencies....hilarious!

I took some pics of some of the all-time greats that we brought back...



Gabbie chilling.....only for like 1.5 seconds, of course :)

While we were worshipping it up....the kiddos were having their own little party :)
We ended the worship time with "He is no fool"....SUCH a fantastic song. It was just an amazing night. I mean, right when we started singing the first song, all these memories and emotions flooded me and I was remembering so many faces from throughout the years of being a student in C.O. and on staff in those early years. SUCH amazing memories. I could have stayed there all night singing those songs. I'm so thankful for how the Lord has changed me throughout all these years and allowed me to see him change and transform so many others. It's such a privilege. I think we need to have one of these throw-back worship times at least once a week! I'm sure JK can make a trip from B'ham every week to lead us, right??!
So glad you had a birthday Kevin and so glad this is how Shay wanted to help you celebrate it! SOOOO fun!

4 comments:

Matt, Carrie, Lucy and Molly Allen said...

that is awesome!! and i guess i would be an oldtimer b/c i knew all those songs...i mean it has been 14 years since i started at troy!! geez.

Jennifer said...

Shay told me about this...SUCH FUN! I am smiling just reading the post and now I have some of the songs in my head. :)

Amy said...

Sounds like so much fun!!! I am with Jen - seeing all those songs made me smile. Such fun memories!!

April said...

How much fun! that last song reminded me of when i told all of south at share time they were fools if they didn't go to beach project! hahahaha. sorry about that.